It is not easy to imagine the beautiful places and views that Abruzzo can offer: medieval villages, castles, valleys, lakes, mountains. Abruzzo will allow you to explore and enjoy wild and unspoiled itineraries. From lakes to nature reserves, from sea to mountain, from rural hinterland, every day you can immerse yourself in a scenario completely new and unexpected scenario, simply taking the Highway 16 or Highway 14. In an hour drive you can reach the national parks of Majella and Gran Sasso, natural lakes that lie at the foot of the mountains of the Apennines. From Hotel San Remo, less than 30 Kms there is the beautiful town of Ascoli Piceno, Le Marche.
We suggest you the best five routes most suggestive of Abruzzo:
- The National Park of Abruzzo and Scanno, one of the “must see” for anyone visiting the region. Visit some beautiful villages like Barrea, Alfedena, Pescasseroli and Lake of Scanno.
- The National Park of Gran Sasso and Monti della Laga. Santo Stefano di Sessanio, one of the most beautiful and popular medieval village, then Rocca Calascio, Castelvecchio Calvisio, Navelli, Capestrano, Castel del Monte, Campotosto, Campo Imperatore.
- Sulmona e Pettorano sul Gizio. Sulmona, the city of the candies cal- led “confetti”, one of the most beautiful cities to visit in Abruzzo. Pettorano sul Gizio, beautiful medieval village.
- La Costa dei Trabocchi (o Costa dannunziana). The so called “Trabocchi”, antique fishing ma- chines on stilts, are typical of marine territory of Abruzzo, from Ortona to the south. Nature, landscape and pristine beaches make the Costa Trabocchi so natural and unique. rendono la Costa dei Trabocchi unica nel suo genere.
- Civitella del Tronto e Ascoli Piceno. The wonderful Bourbon fortress of Civitella del Tronto is worth a visit. Lose yourself in the narrow streets of the medieval village and enjoy a wonderful view. Ascoli Pi- ceno, Marche region, by car less than half an hour, is a wonderful medieval city built of travertine.
There also castles spread all over the region, such as those of Avezzano, Celano, Balsorano, Anversa degli Abruzzi and Pacentro. Must see are the sanctuaries, like that of St. Gabriel, in Isola del Gran Sasso.